Thursday, October 14, 2010

Merci Dank U Gracias Dank U Wel Thank You!!


I think that covers all the languages of the countries I've raced in this year...

With the 2010 season pretty well wrapped up I owe a huge thank you to a lot of people. Family, friends, coaches, people that have offered me advice, followed and supported, fixed with my bikes (double thanks), driven me around...driven and moved my stuff around... and on and on.

It's been an interesting year, for lack of a better word, but I think I'm lucky to be able to take a lot of positive experiences away from it.

Flash back to Worlds and it's a pretty good case in point...

For everyone that saw the results it didn't go quite according to plan (although I swear my bike and I never made contact with any sort of metallic object and there is supposedly concrete video footage...).

I think the story can be told in pictures...

What changes?

BEFORE
1/2 way up the 1st climb
(Canadian Cyclist)

After the top of the climb
(Canadian Cyclist)

Front flat, rear derailleur into rear wheel, spare bike, spare bike back to follow car (that was my team support for the race....giving the bike back in case something happened to someone else).

So not an ideal first World Championships by any stretch, but as lots of people have told me I'll hopefully have many more down the road and this way it can only get better!

Talking to a few people in the week after, they noted that I didn't really seem THAT disappointed with the outcome. I think the impression would have been sliiiightly different had the conversation occurred right afterwards as I sat in the 2nd feed zone, but if this year's taught me anything there's only so much you can control. You're better served to try and find the positive experiences in what you did achieve and find new motivation moving forward than sit stuck on the frustration, sadness, whatever. Basically, I care, I put a lot into this...but in the grand scheme of things, I've gone through tougher experiences this year and hopefully I can carry some positive perspective forward from that.

And it can only help me to have been at Worlds and seen what it's all about.

Watching the Elite Men's Race was a cool experience. The crowds were insane...

So we had to escape to the restricted feed zone to watch...


And it was pretty funny to hear my aunt and uncle (who were also in Northern Aus at the same time) recount how they came home the night of the Women's RR, turned on the TV...and lo and behold there I was standing on the side of the road with a wheel in the air...


And I got to hold a baby kangaroo!



And last but not least it's the off season!!!!! Time to finally relax.

And then bring on 2011.



No comments:

Post a Comment