Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dank U

Dank U Air Canada and British Airways for getting me and my stuff here in one piece. Except my front skewer! Why’d you have to open my bike box again after already opening it in Vancouver! After one day that’s the extent of my Flemish so far. I’m not so sure it’s going to improve much more; my French already needs enough work. But I felt like I needed to know how to say thank you because the whole grocery store experience was already awkward enough.

Anyway, in Belgium now and then flights were uneventful, other than Moriah trying to smuggle the mini bottle of plane wine through security in Heathrow and then getting selected for the “naked picture scanner” (which they have in this little free standing box of a room, little weird). We actually decided that we felt decidedly less messed up than usual. Possibly because after racing for four days last week and then a 3am airport departure on Monday our bodies’ internal clocks were already in mass confusion. It’s currently 5am though so apparently mine missed the memo about the awesome first night jet lag induced coma sleep I was supposed to be having right now. Set my alarm for 10am just in case but apparently that was highly unnecessary. Ah well.

Our digs are pretty decent. Fairly typical Euro housing: old and small but serviceable. We’re in a bit of a complex or something. I’m not really sure how to describe it, but the guys and coaches are in a separate segment to us six girls (+ a few British cyclists, I’m not really how many yet). Some how the guys got the internet router so I think we’re going to be spending quite a bit of time over there anyway. Already got to watch some cycling on TV. It’s crazy how much it’s televised over here between track and road at the moment. Being classics season I guess it’s even more so.

We’re officially not doing Flanders so our first race won’t be until Monday; another UCI race in Belgian. Despite the fact that it’s probably a good thing given all the traveling it would have been a cool race to do. Especially because the women’s race basically starts 100km closer to the finish than the guys and then just races in ahead of them. We’re living in the Flanders region of Belgium so its super close. Hopefully we’ll get to go see some of it, but I’m not sure how that will fit into our schedule.

Going to see if I can scrounge another few hours of sleep before the sun comes up. Looking forward to the first ride here. And maybe finding some chocolate or waffles…

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Result the other day Denise!

    ReplyDelete