Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Holidays!


Hope everyone's having a good holiday break so far and survived the Boxing Day craze.

Christmas tree and stockings

The last week has definitely been pretty relaxing. Managed to get all my shopping done before I left Vancouver so I didn't really have too much to worry about. Only speed bump was a rough two days after getting gently coerced to get my H1N1 and seasonal flu shots on Tuesday. Barely managed to sleep that night because every time I rolled over my arms woke me up and progressed through a bit of a fever and no appetite for a two days. Pretty weird actually, because it didn't feel like I was sick but at the same time I just didn't feel right. Not a huge deal but not particularly fun during a heavy training week either.

We've had some downright balmy weather up here in Yellowknife the past week though. The day I flew in it was maybe -5. Back down to -20 but still warm enough for relatively comfortable skiing. I've been out skiing a fair bit. Its a more enjoyable way to pack in the hours then being trapped inside on the trainer...although that's still a necessity.

I had a bit of a revelation today; glide wax really works! I've been doing a bit of skate skiing on the recommendation of my physio (help strengthen the adductors and abductors that cycling doesn't work too much). My skate skis are a bit of a joke to begin with, I think they started out as my mom's but were short enough for me to use when I was probably six. And I definitely was shorter then. Anyway, apparently they also hadn't had glide wax put on since I was six. Did that today and wow they actually kind of slide now!

In other news, my pre- New Years resolution is to not crash my parent's car into anyone/anything while I'm here. Going from a Honda Fit to a F-150 is a little interesting, added with me slamming on the brake with my left foot when I think I'm still in a standard. Stretch goal is to make it into my dad's work parking spot without having to back out again 4 or 5 times.

Time to go face the trainer and make sure all the home cooked food get too comfy. Hopefully there is something interesting on TV. Law and Order or CSI usually does the trick... I'm not sure the Canada-Latvia game (blowout) is going to be enough to hold my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment