Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ouch

So I've finally gotten settled back in out in Vancouver (check out the pictures of the apartment and view) and class started up again last week. Been running a little low on the sleep side of things (which has probably contributed to the "ouch" factor) but its the off season for a little while anyway...


View out of the living room to the commons block

The kitchen (so excited there aren't any mice and fruit flies...)


View out of the living room
Anyway, so after probably five days of no physical activity other than a lot of moving in, my body was starting to rebel. Probably regrets it now after what I've been putting it through. When I got out here I got hooked up with a CSC Pacific card which gives me access to a bunch of gyms in the area and a chain of yoga studios. It'd been a while since I'd done any yoga so I thought it would be a good way to start off the cross training season. Of course my next brilliant idea was to try HOT yoga (room heated to 40 degrees) for the first time. I don't think I've ever sweated so much and half way through I was getting very starry eyed. Not a good thing when you're doing balanced poses. Felt good to have actually done some activity though. Next I ran which my body hated me even more for even if I only managed a half hour (and I'm pretty sure I was barely shuffling). And finally, the Richmond Olympic Oval has drop-in speed skating hours. I haven't been on my speed skates in probably two years but I got my parents to bring them down to Van for me. I've never gotten the chance to skate on an indoor oval so I figured I'd better try it out while I have the chance. Especially as the oval is supposed to get replaced with hockey pads after the Olympics. I was definitely a little shaky at the start but it all came back pretty quickly even if it wasn't pretty. 

Long story short...walking has been hard for a couple days. And unfortunately the amount I have to walk as increased trekking across campus to class. I have to say though, it kind of feels good to "hurt" again, as weird as that may be. Yes, cycling hurts but my muscles definitely don't feel it in the same way they feel something new. I finally cracked and headed out on my bike yesterday though with a few girls for an adventure around the sea wall. After two weeks off it though it almost felt like a new activity. 

Maybe hiking will be up next...

Later

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment